[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Discovery and Integration ofXMPP Services

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Fri Mar 30 20:47:20 UTC 2007

This XEP handles high availability via presence.

When a client goes to discover a service, it does so using a Message. That message is sent to a Bare Jid, which means the server will choose the highest priority resource.

Once a particular service is being used by a client, they exchange directed presence. This means if either goes offline, the other will be notified. This allows intelligent decisions to be made regarding choosing a new service (for the client) or closing out a session (for the service).

The key to high availability is having mulitple services online. Using presence priorities, the server will always pick the "most available" service. If a service disappears, then a different service will be used.

--
Chris Mullins