[Standards] Jingle session lifetime

Lauri Kaila lauri.kaila at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 16:08:00 UTC 2007

2007/3/30, Robert McQueen <robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk>:
> > Is it acceptable behaviour to send Jingle action stanzas (transport
> > candidates) immediately after session-initiate, before IQ response is
> > received? Google Talk seems to do that. It does optimize the session
> > setup time, but I'd interpret XEP-0166 so that the session isn't in
> > PENDING state before it's provisionally accepted. If the recipient
> > sends an error response to session-initiate, it likely sends
> > <unknown-session/> to the orphanded actions.
>
> This sounds fine to me. Our client can start following up a
> "session-initiate" with "transport-info" right away, and just deals with
> the errors that result if it was talking to a session that the other end
> nacked for some reason.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for comments. Let's see if I got it right. A summary:

* Session id is valid immediately after session-initiate is sent, and
the initiator can send other Jingle actions stanzas (including
session-terminate).
* Session id becomes invalid immediately after session-terminate is
sent, or the recipient sends error response to session-initiate.
* Both parties may receive stanzas after the session became invalid,
but that is normal, they are just responded with <unknown-session/>.

-lauri