[Standards] [Fwd: [lemonade] Message ORGanization list formed]

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 2 09:08:08 UTC 2007

On Tue May  1 19:10:31 2007, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> This may be of interest...

Given the lists I sent this to (whose members were involved in the
discussions leading to this) I was relying on quite a bit of context
in this announcement - that context is probably not available to many
members of this list.

MORG is concerned with MUA interactions with Message Stores, which in
Internet terms means IMAP clients doing advanced organization and
searching using not-yet-existent IMAP server features - currently, a
lot of this kind of functionality is handled by the clients
downloading all messages in the store to a local store, and then
performing local operations (in some cases adding metadata which is
then not replicated to the IMAP store) - this leads to a certain
degree of non-interoperability, but it's also painfully inefficient.

Although I'd welcome as much input as possible in these early stages,
the most likely impact for XMPP folk would be related to message
archiving features. To a large degree, that's probably best handled
by specifying a lossless transformation between XMPP <message/>
stanza and RFC2822[bis], which in turn is most likely best handled
here, not MORG.

Such a specification would, IMHO, be best handled by something along
the lines of:

1) Extract suitable headers, including from, to, in-reply-to, and
subject.
2) Extract plain text portion, if any.
3) Construct a message with the headers from (1), and a
multipart/alternative of (2) and the original <message/> stanza.

If there's interest, I'll write that up in detail.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/