[Standards] stream errors in 206

Stefan Strigler steve at zeank.in-berlin.de
Fri May 4 10:49:14 UTC 2007

Am Freitag, den 04.05.2007, 11:40 +0100 schrieb Ian Paterson:

> >> For each subsequent version of the XEP it will get progressively more
> >> difficult to maintain server/connection manager code if particular
> >> things are added to each and every version. It gets to the point,
> >> depending on how the server is handling errors where you have to check
> >> versions throughout the code. I thought it was acceptable as a one time
> >> thing for the 1.6 release but it maybe better to accept that the newer
> >> version will break older clients then having the server distinguish
> >> between each version and know what it can and can't send to the client.
>
> I tend to agree. Although I think we need feedback from as many XEP-0124
> developers as possible before I'm confident to proceed and recommend
> this change to the council.

I totally agree: We should keep checks on version numbers as low as
possible or avoid them completely. Things start getting confusing
otherwise as the number of implementations start to increase. You always
should take into account that implementations contain bugs. A fact that
breaks interoperability. So keep things simple please!

> XEP-0206 should at least include an informational note to developers
> about "obsolete" earlier versions of the protocol.

ACK

Cheers, Steve