[Standards] NEW: XEP-0209 (Metacontacts)

Etan S. C. Reisner deryni at unreliablesource.net
Sat May 5 09:21:10 UTC 2007

I hope this threads correctly, I've been out of the loop for a while so I
missed the original announcement of this XEP, but I have a question about
it.

Perhaps I've just missed it but how does this interact with roster groups?
Is the intention that meta-contacts are defined across all groups? So that
if two jids are set as a meta-contact they should be placed together in
all groups that they share? Or do meta-contacts span groups such that jids
from multiple groups are pulled together into one meta-contact in one of
the groups? (Which seems like it would be confusing to me so I'm assuming
was not the intention.)

(If my understanding of the interaction between meta-contacts and groups
is flawed feel free to ignore the following paragraph.)

Also, given that a jid can be placed in multiple groups at once what is
the reasoning behind "any jid MUST NOT be specified in this manner as a
member of more than one metacontact within an account"? Was the intention
specifically to forbid having jids in different metacontacts in different
groups (assuming that metacontacts don't span groups)? Or was this just to
keep implementations simple?

I'm glad an XEP for this functionality has come around without the issues
of the last attempt, here's hoping this works out as well as I hope it
can.

    -Etan