[Standards] compliance levels for 2008

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Sun May 6 06:25:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

1) I am not very sure of including entity capabilities in the basic spec.
There are known issues of how to poison caps information, how to flood
an xmpp network with bogus caps information, the 'server optimization'
can be exploited, etc.
It could be argued out as implementation details, but unless these are
discussed with some guidelines arrived at on how to tackle them (or fix
the spec), forcing everyone to implement it in the assumption of trusted
clients/servers might not be a good idea.
It is a very useful xep, but there are still security related blanks to
be filled in.

2) "XMPP Intermediate Client 2008" could be renamed "XMPP Intermediate
Chat Client 2008".
 From an xmpp client point of view, none of the requirements are
relevant : only if it is a chat client.
And why muc & not pubsub ? Given that pep is being pushed aggressively,
pubsub makes more sense than muc since it has a greater extensibility value.

3) JID Escaping (106) should be included in Basic client & server spec.

4) Some form of communication blocking - (preferably privacy list :-) )
in intermediate client & server spec. (Which should be done is
conflicting in the rfc's)

5) data forms (4) ? jud (55) ? amp (79) ?

Regards,
Mridul