[Standards] XMPP Ping with(out) 'to' argument ?

Tomasz Sieprawski tsieprawski at gmail.com
Mon May 7 18:51:52 UTC 2007

I'm writing a module to jabberd2 for support of XEP-0199. But I have a
dillema.
Xep tells how to ping each other (server->client, client<->client,
component->client), but I can think that pinging my own server can result in
this xml:

C: <iq type='get' to='jabberd2.org' id='ping'>
        <ping xmlns='urn:xmpp:ping'/>
    </iq>
S: <iq type='result' from='jabberd2.org' id='ping'/>

My problem is whether I can also send iq/get *without* 'to' attribute, so
xml traffic looked in this way:
own server can look this way:

C: <iq type='get' id='ping'>
        <ping xmlns='urn:xmpp:ping'/>
    </iq>
S: <iq type='result' id='ping'/>

Xep does not say anything about not providing to='' argument. So I'm asking
you for interpretation, whether allow such pinging server.

And sorry for my bad english :p

-----
made by Tomasz Sieprawski
xmpp:tomasz at mastahizm.pl