[Standards] XEP-0174: multiple JIDs

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon May 7 20:23:52 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Sjoerd Simons wrote:
>> That said. What's the use-case for announcing multiple e-mail
>> address/jid's?
>> For vcard like purposes it would be better to request a real one via
>> xmpp i
>> guess, so you can have more complete information (work/private/whater
>> jid/mail)
>
> I'm not exactly sure what the use case is. People have multiple JIDs or
> screen names or email addresses and it would be nice to advertise them all?

The use cases I've heard about revolve around presence-enabling email
programs and contact books and such. So for example your instance of
Thunderbird could show a little presence icon next to mail from
stpeter at jabber.org if I advertise a TXT record with that address. But I
could have multiple email addresses so you might want to presence-enable
them all.

Naturally, there is absolutely no control over what people can publish
in their TXT records, so this kind of information is easily poisoned
(I'll add a security consideration about that to the next version of the
spec). But that's true whether you advertise one email address / JID or
more than one.

XMPP Standards Foundation