[Standards] XEP-0065: SOCKS5 acknowledgement after stream activation

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon May 7 22:51:47 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Jakob Schroeter wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> You're right, this looks like a goof.  Example 19 and the text above it
>>> should be removed I think, although I have not double-checked with my
>>> own
>>> code.

>>> The SOCKS5 snippets in the XEP use a short-hand, they do not describe
>>> entire packets.  I believe the "STATUS = X'00'" refers to the entire
>>> response packet, and that is just the only field we care about.  E.g.
>>> this
>>> would have been the same as the meaning of Example 15.

>>> For what purpose?
>>
>> A simple file retrieval protocol could use it, similar to the good old
>> 'fax polling'. Anyway, I was just wondering about this when
>> implementing 0065, and it'd be fine with me if Example 19 would be
>> removed as you proposed.
>
> That seems correct.

Er, no, I think it's a simple copy-and-paste error, where I didn't
change "Target" to "Initiator". The text should say:

******

The Proxy MUST then send SOCKS5 acknowledgement of the connection to the
Initiator.

Example 19. StreamHost Acknowledges Connection to Initiator

STATUS = X'00'

******

XMPP Standards Foundation