[Standards] querying for random services

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Tue May 8 16:45:14 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> <iq type='get' from='bard at shakespeare.lit/globe' to='shakespeare.lit'
> id='gotstun'>
>   <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items'
>
> node='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info?category=server;type=stun'/>
> </iq>

> One aspect I'm not sure of is: what does the XMPP server return as the
> JID of a service that is not accessible via XMPP (such as a STUN
> server)? Presumably it would return the JID of the XMPP server itself.

How about having a separate "virtual" JID for every service? For
example, STUN servers in a reply for your IQ would be identified as
shakespeare.lit/server/stun/1, /2, etc (just an example, this could be
implementation detail). This way, server don't have to include all info
about each service in this reply - client can send separate disco#info
to each of them if it needs more information.
I think this approach would make these services more XMPP-friendly. Plus
it would be possible to - for example - query for STUN server version
(using standard jabber:iq:version), etc.

Not sure if this is a good idea. Maybe it would require much coding
without real benefits. So.. please say sth smart about it :)

--
Maciek Niedzielski
 Psi developer, XSF member
 xmpp:machekku at uaznia.net