[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 8 19:12:57 UTC 2007

Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>> XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
>>> Version 0.3 of XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping) has been released.
>> IIRC, the bis spec was modified to allow for entities to send presence
>> probes : it used to be only server who could do that.
>> With xmpp ping xep, can we remove that requirement and go back to
>> 3920/3921 behavior ?

Presence probe is used to get the presence of someone in your roster.
Ping is used to check connectivity between you and some other entity on
the network (not necessarily something in your roster and it can be used
between any two entities). So they serve different purposes.

> I think it was always allowed, but it was not recommended.

Correct. And it's still not recommended.

XMPP Standards Foundation