[Standards] XMPP URI/IRI querytypes

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 8 19:23:06 UTC 2007

Zenek wrote:
> Hello, I looked at the XMPP URI/IRI Querytypes in the XMPP registrar a bit and
> I am wondering why the recvfile
> (http://www.xmpp.org/registrar/querytypes.html#recvfile) "enables initiation
> o an _outbound_ file transfer" whereas sendfile
> (http://www.xmpp.org/registrar/querytypes.html#sendfile) "enables initiation
> of an _inbound_ file transfer"
>
> Is there any reason for that?

Hmm. It's all a matter of perspective (like subscription from and
subscription to in rosters). Consider this:

xmpp:stpeter at jabber.org?recvfile;name=foo.txt

 From your perspective, when you click that link we will enable a
transfer of foo.txt from me to you. So that is indeed an outbound file
transfer from the XMPP entity specified by the URI (in this case, the
entity is stpeter at jabber.org). Perhaps the terms outbound and inbound
are confusing here, but the important thing is that recvfile means the
file goes from the entity identified by the URI (me) to the entity that
accesses the URI (you clicking the link), whereas sendfile means the
file goes from the entity that accesses the URI (you) to the entity
identified by the URI (me). I'd be happy to remove the terms outbound
and inbound entirely.

XMPP Standards Foundation