[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Tue May 8 20:16:30 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
>> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>>> IIRC, the bis spec was modified to allow for entities to send presence
>>> probes : it used to be only server who could do that.
>>> With xmpp ping xep, can we remove that requirement and go back to
>>> 3920/3921 behavior ?
>
> Presence probe is used to get the presence of someone in your roster.
> Ping is used to check connectivity between you and some other entity on
> the network (not necessarily something in your roster and it can be used
> between any two entities). So they serve different purposes.

probe as used by servers satisfies the requirement you mention.
But the addition to bis spec [1] refers to other entities using probe
for checking for connectivity.
This is the usecase I am refering to - and maybe can be removed from bis
spec in favor of ping ?
Both are essentially checking for connectivity.

Regards,
Mridul

[1]
http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3921bis-02.html#presence-directed