[Standards] XEP-0096 and Querytypes

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Tue May 8 20:24:26 UTC 2007

The recent post on querytypes prompted me to re-read that section of
0096 [1]. The sections about requiring full JID's is too restrictive. I
can certainly see services offering files at the domain/component level
(even at bare JID's - conference room anyone?). The text in section
6.2.2 currently reads:

"Note well that the request to begin the stream is sent to the full JID
(user at host/resource) of the XMPP entity identified by the XMPP IRI/URI.
Therefore, the IRI/URI SHOULD include a full JID. If it does not, the
receiver MUST discover a full JID via presence or service discovery. If
the receiver cannot discover a full JID for the sender (e.g., in the
last resort through sending a presence subscription request to the
sender and receiving presence from the sender's resources), then it
SHOULD abort the file transfer exchange."

I think something along these lines is more appropriate (though my
wording stinks):

"Note well that the request to begin the stream is sent to the full JID
(user at host/resource) of the XMPP entity identified by the XMPP IRI/URI.
Therefore, the IRI/URI SHOULD include a full JID. If it includes a bare
JID, the receiver MAY discover a full JID via presence or other
appropriate mechanism. If the receiver cannot discover a full JID for
the sender (e.g., in the last resort through sending a presence
subscription request to the sender and receiving presence from the
sender's resources), then it MAY abort the file transfer exchange.
However, in circumstances such as Multi-User Chat, a Multi-User Chat
room is identified by a bare JID and may very well publish a file from
the room's bare JID. In this case, no discovery of a resource is
required. Also, if the IRI/URI contains a domain JID the file transfer
exchange SHOULD continue without performing any additional discovery."

-JD

[1] http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0096.html#registrar-querytypes