[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 8 20:30:34 UTC 2007

Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
>>
>> Presence probe is used to get the presence of someone in your roster.
>> Ping is used to check connectivity between you and some other entity
>> on the network (not necessarily something in your roster and it can be
>> used between any two entities). So they serve different purposes.
>

> probe as used by servers satisfies the requirement you mention.
> But the addition to bis spec [1] refers to other entities using probe
> for checking for connectivity.

This was NOT added to the bis spec. For example see Section 2.2.1 of RFC
3921, which states:

probe -- A request for an entity's current presence; SHOULD be generated
only by a server on behalf of a user.

So RFC 3921 and traditional Jabber usage always allowed a client to send
probes to a contact, but that usage was always discouraged.

> This is the usecase I am refering to - and maybe can be removed from bis
> spec in favor of ping ?

No. The use cases are different.

> Both are essentially checking for connectivity.

I disagree. See my previous message. A probe is used only between two
entities that share presence so it applies to IM and presence use cases
only (entities that implement RFC 3921). A ping can be sent between any
two entities even if they don't share presence (from a component to a
foreign server, from a client to its server, from one server to another,
from one component to another) and it applies to any entity that has
implemented RFC 3920.

XMPP Standards Foundation