[Standards] SUMMARY: compliance levels

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 8 21:26:49 UTC 2007

This message attempts to summarize the recent thread about compliance
levels. I see consensus on the following:

1. The Basic levels address more generalized XMPP functionality whereas
the Intermediate Client level includes features that are specific to IM
and presence clients. This probably should be reflected in the name of
the intermediate level ("XMPP Intermediate IM Client 2008" or whatever).

2. We need an Intermediate Server level. This probably should include
PEP (XEP-0163). It should also include the ability to support add-on
components (whether internal or external) for things that are required
by the Intermediate Chat Client level (e.g., MUC).

3. Start TLS in Basic. (In fact this is required by RFC 3920 so I don't
understand the confusion.)

I don't see consensus (yet) on the following:

1. Stream Compression (XEP-0138) in the Basic levels. (ISTM that this
should not be necessary, since Transport Layer Security includes a
compression option and there should be support for it in common SSL
libraries.)

2. JID Escaping (XEP-0106) in the Basic levels. (This seems like a good
idea to me.)

3. Removing Entity Capabilities from the Basic levels. (Lots of
objections on the list, the main argument in favor is that there are
some reputed security concerns w.r.t. poisoning, but IMHO if you follow
the spec these are not very threatening. But the spec could be beefed up
in this regard if desired.)

4. Including communications blocking (XEP-0016 and XEP-0191) in the
Intermediate levels. (This seems like a good idea to me.)

5. Avatars. (Which approach?)

6. vCards. (No major objections to date.)

7. XMPP URIs. (What does this mean for clients? Just register the client
as a helper app and off you go.)

8. Bookmarks. (Introduces a dependency on iq:private and in any case I
am not convinced that iq:private is the right place to store JIDs
anyway, see [1].)

9. File Transfer. (Which approach? XEP-0096? But it doesn't work well,
NATs suck etc., use the non-existent Jingle FT? IMHO this belongs in the
"XMPP Multimedia Client 2009" level...)

10. MUC: all or only part for Intermediate? (An "Advanced IM Client"
level might include all the room admin stuff.)

/psa

[1] http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-March/014646.html