[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0199 (XMPP Ping)

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Tue May 8 22:14:41 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>>
>>> Presence probe is used to get the presence of someone in your roster.
>>> Ping is used to check connectivity between you and some other entity
>>> on the network (not necessarily something in your roster and it can
>>> be used between any two entities). So they serve different purposes.
>>

>> probe as used by servers satisfies the requirement you mention.
>> But the addition to bis spec [1] refers to other entities using probe
>> for checking for connectivity.
>
> This was NOT added to the bis spec. For example see Section 2.2.1 of RFC
> 3921, which states:
>
> probe -- A request for an entity's current presence; SHOULD be generated
> only by a server on behalf of a user.
>
> So RFC 3921 and traditional Jabber usage always allowed a client to send
> probes to a contact, but that usage was always discouraged.

Ah, I see that the type=probe is not present in the presence packet : my
mistake, thanks for clarifiyng !
But that addition 4.6 is what I am caught up about - doesn't the example
in that section have the same intent as ping - check for connectivity of
the user ? [*] So wont xmpp ping not be a superset of that directed
presence usecase ?
If yes, why not remove that section and recommend use of xmpp ping for
that usecase ? (assuming ping xep becomes draft before 3921 bis).

Regards,
Mridul

[*] btw, shouldn't the example not be for the full jid in bis spec
section 4.6 ?