[Standards] compliance: Basic Client (0211)

Bruce Campbell b+jabber at bruce-2007.zerlargal.org
Wed May 9 04:26:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> 3. Start TLS in Basic. (In fact this is required by RFC 3920 so I don't
> understand the confusion.)

Strictly speaking, TLS is a 'SHOULD' in RFC 3920, not a 'MUST', thus TLS
is a 'Recommended', not a 'Required' in Basic Client 2008 (XEP 0211).

> 1. Stream Compression (XEP-0138) in the Basic levels. (ISTM that this should
> not be necessary, since Transport Layer Security includes a compression
> option and there should be support for it in common SSL libraries.)

For both TLS and Compression, I'm in favour of them being 'Recommended' in
Basic Client 2008, 'Required' in Basic Server 2008, and a 'Required' in a
future Basic Client 2010.

Since Servers take a while to be upgraded compared to the average IM
client, this will give the server infrastructure time to properly support
server-to-client encryption and compression.  It will also allow some IM
clients, which currently do not support these features, to share in the
marketing advantage of claiming 'Compliant with XMPP Basic Client
2008!!!'.

Once they, being the IM Client developers, have signed onto the shiny icon
bandwagon with a low entry bar, self-interest in having the same shiny
icon as everyone else will ensure that their Client supports TLS and
Compression when they become 'Required' in XMPP Basic Client 2010
('A Jabber Odyssey').

> 2. JID Escaping (XEP-0106) in the Basic levels. (This seems like a good idea
> to me.)

See above.  Keep Basic Client 2008 relatively Basic, get them addicted,
add features with each new edition of shiny icons and the developers will
happily keep up.

--
   Bruce Campbell.