[Standards] Re: SUMMARY: compliance levels

Magnus Henoch mange at freemail.hu
Wed May 9 11:42:34 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> writes:

> 9. File Transfer. (Which approach? XEP-0096? But it doesn't work well,
> NATs suck etc., use the non-existent Jingle FT? IMHO this belongs in
> the "XMPP Multimedia Client 2009" level...)

I'd say that XEP-0096 is the only thing we will have in the
foreseeable future, so we might as well do the best of the situation
for Intermediate Client 2008.  In my opinion, that would be requiring
all of the following:

* SOCKS5 Bytestreams _and_ In-band bytestreams (as required by
  XEP-0096 already)
* Automatically query the server for XEP-0065 proxies (sections 4.2
  and 4.3 of XEP-0065)
* Psi's "fast mode": http://delta.affinix.com/specs/stream.html
* Spark's fallback to IBB: first part of
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.jabber.standards-jig/10468
* Generating and checking the MD5 sum of the transferred file (the
  "hash" attribute of XEP-0096; this is OPTIONAL in the XEP)

Maybe an intermediate server should be required to provide a
bytestreams proxy; that could be satisfied by an external component,
though.

All of this together should cover most problems, I think.  Jingle file
transfer might be mature enough for 2009.

--
Magnus
JID: legoscia at jabber.cd.chalmers.se