[Standards] SUMMARY: compliance levels

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 8 22:33:45 UTC 2007

Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> 8. Bookmarks. (Introduces a dependency on iq:private and in any case I
>> am not convinced that iq:private is the right place to store JIDs
>> anyway, see [1].)
>
> [1] would be great.
> To address some of the queries (which nick to use, what if password
> protected, etc) - maybe those could be metadata to the roster entry ?
> This way, as part of initial presence broadcast - the corresponding
> metadata indicates that it is a conference room and provides required
> info to the server for autojoin.
> It would be great if you can spec this Peter, imo it is a neat idea !

Yeah, only so many hours in the day. :( I'll get to it soon.

>> 10. MUC: all or only part for Intermediate? (An "Advanced IM Client"
>> level might include all the room admin stuff.)
>

> If clients need to support it, then there should be some way to specify
> the corresponding server side support also ... could be within server or
> through component - either way it must be possible to support it.
> Existance of external conference components does not mean those should
> work with a server.

I think a MUC server MUST support everything but a client MAY support
only a subset (simple groupchatting vs. full room configuration and
administration). So Intermediate IM Client would do simple chat (join
room, send and receive messages) but Advanced IM client would do all the
fancy room management stuff.

XMPP Standards Foundation