[Standards] STUN discovery redux

Unnikrishnan V ukv1977 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:21:58 UTC 2007

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0055.html also can be used. I beleive we
are just one step to reach the goal.

Reason :

The proposed ways :

1) Simple IQ
2) pubsub
3) disco
4) browse
5) search

Now we need to look on the over heads each  method has ( on code + network )
 and a usecases justification.

The usecase of this stun discovery is I believe (please correct me, if i am
wrong ) : Certain networks the DNS SRV fails  and we were doing a fallback
case for DNS SRV. The problem appeared while executing stun.  But we are not
sure in that cases stun can complete the call.Reason : Stun wont  help to
have call working behind symmetric firewall or a restricted enterprise
network.

I rather vote  for disco / search approach because result is going to be
mostly only 2 servers entries  ( primary and secondary ) . If more that 2
server entries  present, the xmpp servers  do load balancing  ( by using the
weight field on the server - as a feature  and choose the best 2 entries for
the requesting node).

thanx
unni