[Standards] Re: compliance levels for 2008

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Mon May 14 18:44:43 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:

>>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/int-server-2008.html
>>>

>> Why is component protocol required ?
>> I thought it was historical and informational ...
>
> Would it help to change it to Standards Track? There has been talk about
> working on a new component protocol but the existing one is very widely
> implemented and deployed, and is the only standard way to connect
> external components to servers.
>
> Peter

It is used, true - but is there any reason why a intermediate compliant
server should support it ?
For example, pubsub/muc/jud/something_else could be implemented within
the server without requiring external components.

The component protocol has been extended with proprietary extensions for
all sorts of purposes and other than the basic initialization as defined
by 114 and gateway registeration as defined by 100 (since they are
usually components) most of the other functionality is proprietary : how
useful is it to have it in intermediate level ?

For the record, we do support it :) just wondering whether intermediate
suite will gain anything by having this supported ... could be a "nice
to have" in advanced suite ?

Regards,
Mridul