[Standards] Re: compliance levels for 2008

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon May 14 18:51:06 UTC 2007

Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>>>
>>> Why is component protocol required ?
>>> I thought it was historical and informational ...
>>
>> Would it help to change it to Standards Track? There has been talk
>> about working on a new component protocol but the existing one is very
>> widely implemented and deployed, and is the only standard way to
>> connect external components to servers.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> It is used, true - but is there any reason why a intermediate compliant
> server should support it ?
> For example, pubsub/muc/jud/something_else could be implemented within
> the server without requiring external components.

I see your point. Let's say MUC is required. How you implement it in
your server codebase is up to you. If you don't support MUC internally,
you'll need to support it via external component. But that's an
implementation decision, not something that we need to require in the
Intermediate IM Server definition.
/psa