[Standards] Question about MUC invites

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 15 15:29:39 UTC 2007

Grégoire Menuel wrote:
> Hi !
> In http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#invite it's written that when
> the MUC room send the invite to the invitee, the value of the from address of
> the <invite/> element must be the bare JID of the invitor or his room JID.
>
> This cause problems when the invitee declines this invitation. He will send
> back a <decline/> with the to set to the bare JID. But how is the muc
> implementation suppose to forward the decline message, when it only has the
> bare JID of the person ?

You're assuming that the MUC implementation doesn't keep track of
invitations it has processed.

> When this user is only once in the room, there is no
> problems, but when he is connected more than once, then it's hard to know
> which one send the invite.

Unless the MUC service keeps a record of invitations.

> I don't understand why a bare JID is needed here, a full JID would be better.

We probably thought it would be a presence leak. If you are not in my
roster, the room is semi-anonymous, and I send you an invitation, then
now you know my full JID.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to changing it, just thinking through the
reasoning.

XMPP Standards Foundation