[Standards] Question about MUC invites

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Tue May 15 16:58:50 UTC 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 8:29 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> I don't understand why a bare JID is needed here, a full JID would
>> be better.
>
> We probably thought it would be a presence leak. If you are not in
> my roster, the room is semi-anonymous, and I send you an
> invitation, then now you know my full JID.
>
> I'm not saying I'm opposed to changing it, just thinking through
> the reasoning.

To play devil's advocate here... arguably, if we're not in each
other's rosters, and I desperately want to conceal my presence data
from you, I have no business inviting you to a MUC room in the first
place.  Doing so reveals I'm online, which is in my experience the
main 'presence leak' people want to avoid. ;)