[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Private Multi-User Conferencing

Andreas Monitzer jig at monitzer.com
Tue May 15 20:29:43 UTC 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 21:06, Bruce Campbell wrote:

> The differentiation in this case would rely on the <sending nick>
> being unique across all PMUC rooms hosted by a single client.

That way the nick names would be very limited. You already need small
changes in the non-hosting client to support this proposal, why not
add a small addition to this? For example, the <thread/>-tag could be
used for multiple chatrooms.

> In writing this, I'd assumed that if a single client handled
> multiple PMUC room, there would be no overlap between the
> participant lists, except for possibly the central/hosting client
> (which has other means of differentiation at its disposal, such as
> which window the User typed into).

You can't assume that, since this feature would be implemented in a
client where the user can do whatever he/she wants, including hosting
multiple chat rooms with overlapping participants (try to explain
that limitation to a user without a readme...). It's very likely that
those participants would like to use the same nick in all of them.

andy