[Standards] Presence Priority Implementation Guide

Stephen Pendleton pendleto at movsoftware.com
Thu May 17 17:24:49 UTC 2007

This does seem to be the proper behavior. Using any other scheme (like
JConley's) you are going to run an increased risk of messages being
delivered to the "wrong" resource.

Even using Google's scheme you can have this issue. For example if I am
logged in using both my mobile and desktop client and am chatting with
someone using my desktop and then get up and leave and take my mobile client
with me, any further messages from that contact are going to go to my
desktop and not my mobile, even if my mobile priority is higher, unless I
send a message from my mobile to that person. I've tested this and Google's
implementation will always send to the last resource it was received a
message from. Even setting my desktop Gtalk client to "away" it will still
deliver to my desktop client since that is the last resource it received a
message from, not my higher priority mobile. I think this is wrong myself,
but its OK for 99% of the deployments out there. I wonder if Google is using
the <thread> attribute to determine which resource to send a chat message to
(doubtful) or just using the jid+resource of the last received message or
logon (more likely).

I know I do not personally manually set my status to "away" on my desktop
when I leave. I just let the desktop client set me automatically away after
x minutes. During those x minutes (or maybe for the entire session depending
on the server implementation) I will "lose" messages from already initiated
chats because they will be delivered to the desktop, and not my mobile. I
may be atypical because I always stay logged in using my mobile client, even
while I am using my desktop for an extended period of time.

The only guaranteed solution to the problem of messages getting sent to the
"wrong" resources is to have messages always broadcasted to all connected
resources. I do personally think that Google should send messages to the
resource with the highest priority if I have changed my status to away on
one of the connected resources.