Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Sat May 19 10:58:43 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>
>> A small queey - If the ping comes to a user's bare jid - what is the
>> server expected to do ? Can we disallow that since pings are e2e ?
>
> Why disallow it?

Not necessarily disallow - but is there any usecase for it ?
Server will not be able to fwd it to any end point and wont be able to
process it on the jid's behalf - and so would need to end up with an
error anyway right ?

The reason I asked was because the proposed change rightly mentions
about full jid - but is silent about bare jid. Just wanted to get it
clarified.

> The server replies on behalf of IQs sent to a bare JID,
> so you're not finding out anything useful by pinging a bare JID, but I
> see no reason to say you MUST NOT do so.
>
> And pings are not necessarily e2e.

e2e in the sense : from sender to recipient (except for errors ofcourse).
For example, for client/component to client case : can a server respond
on behalf of a jid ? (Assuming presence was divulged already and server
is confident of the connectivity of the jid).

If not - that was the meaning of e2e I was referring to - if yes, it
becomes interesting !

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards,
Mridul