Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Sat May 19 11:37:29 UTC 2007

Hello,

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 04:28:43PM +0530, Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>  Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
> >> A small queey - If the ping comes to a user's bare jid - what is the
> >> server expected to do ? Can we disallow that since pings are e2e ?
> > Why disallow it?
>
>  Not necessarily disallow - but is there any usecase for it ?
>  Server will not be able to fwd it to any end point and wont be able to
>  process it on the jid's behalf - and so would need to end up with an error
>  anyway right ?

IMO, the logical sense would be ping the 'server part' of the account -
it would lead to question of "is the server online && has that account"
- the first one can be done by pinging the server, right? -> I think
this usecase (scanning for existing JIDs) is not anything we would like
to allow.

I hope I do not speak complete nonsense, but pinging the bare JID seems
odd to me too.

--
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner