Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sat May 19 18:51:24 UTC 2007

On Saturday 19 May 2007 2:51 am, Ian Paterson wrote:
> Justin Karneges wrote:
> > What I'd like to see are servers that will reject inbound iq packets if
> > the other entity does not have your presence.  This would only apply if
> > the inbound iq packet is targetting a typical IM account.  Wouldn't this
> > solve a ton of privacy problems?
>
> IMHO, this would be an unnecessary (assuming we recommend random
> resource IDs) and significant change to the RFC. [And, as Rachel pointed
> out, it would create other problems that clients would have to solve
> (with directed presence?) in order to enable communications between
> non-presence-subscribers.]

I don't know if this needs to be a change to the RFC.  It could simply be a
server feature.  Doesn't Google Talk already work this way?  I remember
hearing that it did this at least for messages.

I'd say this falls under server policy, and users that want more privacy can
select a server that offers them this.

-Justin