Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sat May 19 23:10:01 UTC 2007

On Saturday 19 May 2007 3:05 pm, Ian Paterson wrote:
> Justin Karneges wrote:
> > I don't know if this needs to be a change to the RFC.  It could simply be
> > a server feature.
>
> Such a server feature could not conform to RFC 3921. Section 11.1 states:
> "1. If the JID is of the form <user at domain/resource> and an available
> resource matches the full JID, the recipient's server MUST deliver the
> stanza to that resource."

This reminds me of another "MUST" that was discussed on the lists awhile back,
about how servers MUST presence probe all contacts in a user's roster when
the user signs on.

In these cases, I don't think implementations should be required to follow the
text to the letter.  It is enough to recognize the spirit of the text: what
is it trying to accomplish?  What are the expectations?

Yes, the RFC text says that the stanza "MUST" be delivered to the target
resource.  However, is it a violation if the target resource has delegated
its server to accept and handle the stanza in the same way it would have done
on its own?  I don't think so.  If the server were to drop the stanza or
deliver it to the wrong destination, then I would call that a violation.
Having the server act on the client's behalf is an optimization, and stays
true to the spirit of the "MUST".

-Justin