[Standards] Re: Question about MUC invites

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Wed May 23 22:16:51 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Grégoire Menuel wrote:
>>
>> This cause problems when the invitee declines this invitation. He will
>> send back a <decline/> with the to set to the bare JID.

Is it really necessary to send back a decline at all?

> You're assuming that the MUC implementation doesn't keep track of
> invitations it has processed.

Seems like something that could be exploited if it does...just spam a
bunch of invites all over the place; keeping track of enough of them
could eat up a fair amount of memory in a somewhat naive implementation,
and it seems like a lot of complexity for little benefit (If I invite
someone and they decline, I can already determine that by the fact that
they're not in the room) -- and I'd be annoyed by any client that popped
up a message to tell me that the person declined my invite.  Kinda like
email read receipts, which I also don't use...but then there are people
who do, so ... eh.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"