[Standards] Q on xep-0166

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 24 19:52:11 UTC 2007

Unnikrishnan V wrote:
>  From first para of 1. Introduction :
>
> those technologies are not open and do not always take into account
> requirements to interoperate with the Public Switched Telephone Network
> (PSTN) or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) networks based on the
> IETF's Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) as specified in RFC 3261
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261> [1
> <http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0166.html#nt-id2250779>] and its
> various extensions.

Probably the reference to PSTN is not appropriate. However, we do want
to enable interworking with the SIP network.

>  From last para of the same :
> the purpose of Jingle is not to build a full-fledged telephony
> application, but instead to add basic voice chat, video chat, and
> real-time multimedia functionality (e.g., screen sharing) to existing
> and future XMPP clients.
>
> Just wondeing what is the purpose of jingle

Good question.

I think the purpose of Jingle is to enable management of one-to-one
media sessions over XMPP (with the media itself exchanged outside the
XMPP band). Those media sessions could be voice chat, video chat, file
share, app casting, app sharing, collaborative editing, and so on (or
any combination thereof). We are not trying to handle complicated use
cases such as call center applications, call transfer, conference calls
or video conferences (though it is possible we might pursue that kind of
functionality as an add-on to Jingle, maybe with a MUC room serving as
the signalling mixer), or all the things that telephony developers have
created over the last 40 years and keep trying to force into SIP. We
want to keep Jingle as simple as possible.

> ( because tins served the
> purpose of voice video chat and even a good level interop  with sip ) ?

Did it? Not from the reports we received.

XMPP Standards Foundation