[Standards] MUC invitee not found error

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri May 25 16:42:32 UTC 2007

Ian Paterson wrote:
> XEP-0045 currently only specifies the protocol for a single failure case
> for invitations (i.e. when the other user declines).
>
> Some other errors are possible. For example, at least one MUC server I
> know of sends the following error to the invitor after it receives an
> item-not-found error from the invitee's server:
>
> <message from='room1 at conference.foo.com'
>         to='user1 at foo.com' type='error'>
>  <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user'>
>    <invite to='user13 at foo.com'/>
>  </x>
>  <error code='404' type='cancel'>
>    <item-not-found xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
>  </error>
> </message>
>
> Can we standardize this (optional?) error and any others that MUC server
> implementors can think of?

The invitee's server not return an item-not-found error in the first
place, since that enables you to launch a directory harvest attack
against the list of registered users.

But I agree that we need to specify what the MUC service does with
errors it receives. Probably it should return some kind of generic error
to the invitor (sorry, it didn't work out).

XMPP Standards Foundation