[Standards] MUC invitee not found error

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri May 25 17:27:13 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>> For example, at least one MUC server I know of sends the following
>>> error to the invitor after it receives an item-not-found error from
>>> the invitee's server:
>>>
>>> <message from='room1 at conference.foo.com'
>>>         to='user1 at foo.com' type='error'>
>>>  <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user'>
>>>    <invite to='user13 at foo.com'/>
>>>  </x>
>>>  <error code='404' type='cancel'>
>>>    <item-not-found xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/>
>>>  </error>
>>> </message>
>>>
>>> Can we standardize this (optional?) error and any others that MUC
>>> server implementors can think of?
>>
>> The invitee's server not
>
> Er, "should not" (or even "must not").

I strongly agree with "should not". However "must not" might not be
necessary - both the servers I'm using right now send this error (out of
the box AFAICT). [In fact the corporation that produces one of those
servers reported my client's lack of support for the MUC error above as
a bug!] Perhaps it is acceptable for a server to make this error
optional - for use with installations that are not federated?

>> return an item-not-found error in the first place, since that enables
>> you to launch a directory harvest attack against the list of
>> registered users.

- Ian