[Standards] Re: Question about MUC invites

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri May 25 17:36:08 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Alex Mauer wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>
>> Is it really necessary to send back a decline at all?
>
> Hmm. Probably not.
>
> Do people use this feature? Is it valuable? I'm not even sure why we
> included it in the first place...

We've implemented it, and I think it's very useful. Without a decline
message, the invitor would not know immediately that the invitee will
not be entering. Ignorant of the decline, the invitor will typically
wait around unnecessarily (perhaps for several minutes) to see whether
the invitee is going to enter or not (the invitee might have stepped
away from her computer).

- Ian