Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Tue May 29 06:57:56 UTC 2007

> settings ie. in OpenFire); with random resource IDs, some messages
> could be lost, since it will be transferred to a higher priority, yet
> unavailable resource.
>         (Probably I'm wrong on this, IRC had such problems sometimes)

You're not wrong. I used to use randomized resources, and this is the
reason why I turned it off. We probably need acknowledgement before we
can trust randomized resources safely. Google Talk doesn't have the
issue that much with randomized resources because they deliver
messages to all clients with the same priority.

Either way, the situation as it is is not very good as it is. Clients
are not yet able to use randomized IDs without risk or without good
knowledge about the protocol in case something weird happens (e.g.
that you don't get any messages).

cheers,
Remko