[Standards] XEP-0124: terminate

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 29 19:37:46 UTC 2007

Someone just pinged me via IM about session termination in XEP-0124:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html#terminate

In particular, the spec doesn't say what a CM should return to the
client if there are outstanding requests (e.g., the client could include
things in the terminate request and the CM might receive a response from
the server or network but have nowhere to send them). IMHO the CM should
simply return the empty <body/> informing the client that the HTTP
session is terminated, and it's up to the client to clean up. (If the
client wants responses, it shouldn't terminate.) Like so:

       xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/httpbind'/>

It may also be appropriate for the CM to inform the server that the
application-level session is over, too (the equivalent of XMPP
</stream:stream>), but what exactly the CM tells the server depends on
the application.

So at the least I think we need to add this example to Section 13 of
XEP-0124.

XMPP Standards Foundation