[Standards] geoloc: PEP=user, <iq>=resource

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue May 29 21:04:09 UTC 2007

Adam Nemeth wrote:
> I still think Geoloc is meaningless:

No, resource is meaningless (i.e. "opaque") ;-)

>     1) I don't want to fill in a form, since "office" means just what I
> want to mean (see Dave's scenario)

XEP-0080 doesn't say the user has to fill in a form. The client UI is
implementation specific. A client could employ the geoloc <description/>
field with exactly the same user interface you are using today for your
resource identifier.

>     2) A desktop computer usually does not have a GPS

Geoloc can be limited to just the <description/> field.

>     3) A mobile client could be used even inside a house, when location
> is the same, resource is different....

The 'type' (and 'name') attributes of the disco <identity/> element
enable this to be communicated.

The typical things clients are doing with overloaded resource identifier
strings can all be achieved in a *standard* way with the geoloc
<description/> field and/or the disco <identity/> element.

- Ian