[Standards] XEP-0124: terminate

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 29 22:06:11 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Someone just pinged me via IM about session termination in XEP-0124:
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html#terminate
>
> In particular, the spec doesn't say what a CM should return to the
> client if there are outstanding requests (e.g., the client could include
> things in the terminate request and the CM might receive a response from
> the server or network but have nowhere to send them).

It seems that I misunderstood the person I was chatting with. He meant
that there are outstanding HTTP requests, not that there are outstanding
XMPP requests (this is at the BOSH level, not the level of XMPP). So
let's say that in the current session the BOSH client is limited to two
simultaneous requests (requests=2) and one held request (hold=1). Now
assume that there is already one request on hold. The client sends a
terminate request. Two questions arise:

1. Does the CM accept the terminate request (rather than returning an
error because the client is over its number of held requests) or does it
return an error?

2. If the CM accepts the terminate request, what does it do with the
outstanding held request? Send it to /dev/null?

Aside from those questions, I do think that Section 13 of XEP-124 could
use the example shown below.