[Standards] XEP-0124: terminate

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 29 22:15:10 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Someone just pinged me via IM about session termination in XEP-0124:
>>
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html#terminate
>>
>> In particular, the spec doesn't say what a CM should return to the
>> client if there are outstanding requests (e.g., the client could
>> include things in the terminate request and the CM might receive a
>> response from the server or network but have nowhere to send them).
>
> It seems that I misunderstood the person I was chatting with. He meant
> that there are outstanding HTTP requests, not that there are outstanding
> XMPP requests (this is at the BOSH level, not the level of XMPP). So
> let's say that in the current session the BOSH client is limited to two
> simultaneous requests (requests=2) and one held request (hold=1). Now
> assume that there is already one request on hold. The client sends a
> terminate request. Two questions arise:
>
> 1. Does the CM accept the terminate request (rather than returning an
> error because the client is over its number of held requests) or does it
> return an error?

Well we already have an answer to that question, there is an exception
for type='terminate' requests here:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html#overactive

(It's cool that we have this stuff spec'd out, now I just need to read
the specs before posting to the list... ;-)

So the remaining question is what to do with the outstanding held request:

> 2. If the CM accepts the terminate request, what does it do with the
> outstanding held request? Send it to /dev/null?

/psa