[Standards] Jingle initiate and resource determination

Lauri Kaila lauri.kaila at gmail.com
Wed May 30 07:13:49 UTC 2007

Hi List,

I was trying to sort out Jingle initiation when someone has many
clients (resources) online. XEP-0168 (RAP) is created for that
situation, but does it always work so that the initiation goes where
the receiver wants? So I have all these questions about the standards
plus some implementation questions:

- Does XEP-0168 (RAP) status need to be updated to draft along with
XEP-0166/167/180? If yes, shouldn't XEP-0167 and XEP-0180 include the
app type registration entry in chapter "XMPP Registrar
Considerations"?

- Could and should session receiver's clients co-operate somehow? For
example, I'd see on PC that my PDA is ringing. Jingle seems to support
accepting the session from a resource other than original receiver
(responder attribute). Then the clients must be somehow in sync so
that only one client sends session-accept and transport candidates.
And wouldn't the initiator need to re-send all candidates that were
sent before it received session-accept?

- If there are old clients using old namespaces for "jingle-audio" and
I wanted to be compatible with those, how does a client know which
namespace to use in session-initiate?

- Typo: Jingle namespaces (containing jabber.org) in XEP-0168 are not
up to date.

BR,
Lauri