[Standards] Private MUC

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed May 30 20:56:20 UTC 2007

Herewith a few comments on "Private Multi-User Conferencing":

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/private-muc.html

1. I like the general idea, it's quite creative!

2. IMHO the proposal does not yet address a compelling use case. However
I think we have one close to hand: multi-user chat over link-local
connections (XEP-0174). I've heard rumors that the OLPC folks have a
technology for doing this. It would be cool to fold in their experience,
or at least to address the link-local use case.

3. The RoomID SHIM header seems inelegant to me (no I don't particularly
like SHIM headers for XMPP-specific functionalitiy). Why not something
like this?

    <x xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user'>
      <roomid xmlns='urn:xmpp:pmuc'>cauldron</roomid>
    </x>

4. The proposal mentions stanza signing but we don't have a particularly
good technology for doing so yet. Clarification might be in order at
some point. We had some discussion about this at FOSDEM 2007 but didn't
come to any conclusions.

XMPP Standards Foundation