[Standards] geoloc: PEP=user, <iq>=resource

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu May 31 15:21:00 UTC 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> The intent is that all of the extended presence bits are related to
> your core identity, not a device. Although you may have devices in
> different places, your human corporeal body is only ever in one of
> those places.

OK that's clear.

> We're just talking about making this more clear, no? I'm fine with
> that, but we might need to do it for all of the extended presence XEPs.

Yes.

> Actually, once PEP starts to be more deployed (hopefully later this
> year), I'd like to remove/deprecate the non-PEP parts of XEP-80.

Yes. In fact maybe that should be done now - to avoid (new)
implementations of the non-PEP parts? As things stand, if you have two
online resources in different physical locations, then they will
indicate that your corporeal body is in two different places at the same
time!

It might also be useful to add a second namespace to the XEP (or publish
another XEP) that will allow resources to indicate in a standard way
where they are (<description>Home</description>,
<description>Office</description>, etc.). The value of the 'id'
attribute of each pubsub <item/> could be the associated resource
identifier string.

What do people think?

- Ian