[Standards] geoloc: PEP=user, <iq>=resource

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 31 16:01:26 UTC 2007

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>> The intent is that all of the extended presence bits are related to
>> your core identity, not a device. Although you may have devices in
>> different places, your human corporeal body is only ever in one of
>> those places.
>
> OK that's clear.
>
>> We're just talking about making this more clear, no? I'm fine with
>> that, but we might need to do it for all of the extended presence XEPs.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Actually, once PEP starts to be more deployed (hopefully later this
>> year), I'd like to remove/deprecate the non-PEP parts of XEP-80.
>
> Yes. In fact maybe that should be done now - to avoid (new)
> implementations of the non-PEP parts?

Yes, good idea. I'll see what I can cook up. :)

At the same time I might incorporate requests I've had for a few minor
additions to some of the payload formats -- e.g., a <uri/> element in
the tune format to point to a page about the track or artist. In fact
that might be nice for geoloc too (the x:oob stuff in the existing
examples is potentially confusing I think, what does the url refer to?).

> It might also be useful to add a second namespace to the XEP (or publish
> another XEP) that will allow resources to indicate in a standard way
> where they are (<description>Home</description>,
> <description>Office</description>, etc.). The value of the 'id'
> attribute of each pubsub <item/> could be the associated resource
> identifier string.
>
> What do people think?

So something like this?

<presence from='juliet at example.com/923840waslfkjql3wrjalsf49waulfjf'>
   <desc xmlns='urn:xmpp:desc'>balcony</desc>
</presence>

/psa