[Standards] POP/PEP/pubsub

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 31 18:52:44 UTC 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On May 2, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Ian Paterson wrote:
>
>> There will be many thousands of different use cases, big and small,
>> that are likely to be invented over the lifetime of the new
>> iq:private. IMHO we need to offer the maximum data structure
>> flexibility rather than try and tailor the solution to a few
>> foreseeable use cases. What is sure is that some data will be
>> (borrowing language from PubSub) item-atomic and some will be
>> node-atomic. Some will require collections (heirarchical trees of
>> nodes). Pubsub already addresses this "minimum" set of data structures.
>
> Perhaps what we ought to do is put a recommendation in PEP about what
> item ID to use when you mean "Please store a single instance of this".
> For example:

I think private storage is not PEP but some other profile of pubsub,
which perhaps has some features in common with PEP (e.g., filtered
notifications) but not others (e.g., unlike PEP the default access model
is whitelist with the whitelist empty since only the owner needs to have
access, and multiple items are allowed since we care about storage
rather than pure eventing). Perhaps this can be handled by the previous
suggestion of "+private" on the end of the NodeID (I'm still a bit leery
about that since pubsub nodes in general are not supposed to have
semantic meaning, but XEP-0060 does say that such meaning is OK for
particular applications of pubsub). I am in the midst of clarifying the
relationship between pubsub and PEP, so hopefully that will help us
understand which features can be re-used and which features need to be
newly defined in order to create the new private node functionality.

XMPP Standards Foundation