[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0216 (XMPP Intermediate IM Server 2008)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 31 22:35:27 UTC 2007

Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>>
>>> Does recommended of basic become required for intermediate ?
>>> Or do those stay recommended in intermediate also ?
>>
>> I think the consensus was that recommended meant recommended. So if
>> it's recommended in basic, it is still recommended in intermediate
>> unless we say otherwise.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> One of the changes we did recently was to move from a custom encoding in
> case of special characters to the xep based encoding (our encoding
> predated the xep and was loosely based on url encoding).

By which you mean XEP-0106, right?

> We noticed that not being compliant with the xep can have side effects
> in s2s (interop 2006) and also makes it hard for users to exchange jid's.
> This was the reason I brought up 106 earlier for inclusion.

Right. So I think you're arguing that we should make JID Escaping
required in Basic Server 2008. My only concern is that there are a few
outstanding issues with XEP-0106 and I think it needs to be revised a
bit to address those. Also I'd be curious to know how many servers
already have support for JID Escaping.

XMPP Standards Foundation