[Standards] Jingle scenarios

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 1 20:30:19 UTC 2007

Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Thursday 01 November 2007 11:49 am, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> I've started to add a large number of examples to XEP-0166. These are
>> structured around "scenarios" such as a voice chat or voice+video chat.
>> The idea is that these scenarios will illustrate many different session
>> flows. The first two are here:
>>
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/tmp/xep-0166-0.18.html#scenarios
>>
>> I will be adding more scenarios as soon as possible. Feedback is welcome
>> regarding the existing scenarios, suggestions for additional scenarios,
>> etc.
>
> Looks nice.  Comments:
>
> 1) First scenario is ICE-UDP, second scenario is "ICE".  Didn't you mean to
> say ICE-UDP again (or ICE-TCP)?

Yes, typo. There may be many of those, since I wrote it all up in a
hurry and didn't check it over before posting. Release early, release
often. :)

> 2) I don't understand the purpose of the 'content-accept' part of the
> negotiation, in the video scenario for example.

That's how the spec is defined. I wondered about it too when writing
those examples.

That is, do we need this?

|  content-modify   |
|------------------>|
|  ack              |
|<------------------|
|  content-accept   |
|<------------------|
|  ack              |
|------------------>|

Or can we just do this?

|  content-modify   |
|------------------>|
|  ack (w/payload?) |
|<------------------|

Open question...

> It also looks like there may
> be a typo (name='video-is-back' when accepting the removal).

Probably. Much copy-and-paste occurred.

> 3) How does the 'profile' attribute fit in?  I ask because I noticed that the
> Jingle-Audio XEP mentions that the way to use encryption would be to specify
> an alternate profile.  It might be nice to see the profile attribute used in
> the scenarios (or if it is not used, what the meaning is).

Yes, I'll include that in one of the scenarios.

Anything else?

Basically these scenarios should force us to think through all the
possible session flows, Jingle actions, profiles, payload types,
transports, etc.

https://stpeter.im/