[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Mon Nov 5 11:51:16 UTC 2007

Ahoj

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:40:18AM +0000, Dave Cridland wrote:
> A new top-level stanza of (say) <blob/>, which much the same attributes as
> any other routable stanza, but also has an octet count. Upon receipt, the
> XML processing is suspended, and the following octets are handled verbatim:
>
> <blob from='portia at example.com/court' to='shylock at example.net/court'
> octet-count='4'/>1234

You probably can not do that with any reasonably out-of-the-box XML
parser. Furthermore, you may need to pass the stream trough charset
decoder to get some internal stringish representation. This will make it
mad. So, in short, I strongly disagree here.

But you may like SCTP or how's the protocol called and push the blobs
out-of-the stream. Or another "blobby" TCP connection to the server. (if
you really want to send these things trough the server).

--
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas.	 If your ideas are any good,
you'll have to ram them down people's throats."

Michal 'vorner' Vaner