[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Mon Nov 5 15:04:10 UTC 2007

Hello

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 02:45:05PM +0000, Dave Cridland wrote:
> Another option would be to setup a distinct connection (and protocol) for
> routing blobs, and so send them through the server, yet not in-band. I'm
> not comfortable with this, because it means essentially duplicating all
> security information, and maintaining synchronization between two distinct
> streams.

Or make the connection blobs by default, and some blobs could contain
complete XML documents, like this:
lenght of first block
<message to='bla'....>
length of second block
<iq ...>
length of third block
some binary data.

It is as much drastic approach as the blobs, it changes the protocol
from the very basic ground. Furthermore, you can extract the stanza and
feed it to any XML parser.

--
When eating an elephant take one bite at a time.
		-- Gen. C. Abrams

Michal 'vorner' Vaner